Hormone balance, in both men and women, is critical to overall physical and mental well-being. For women, however, there are a number of natural life occurrences, such as puberty, menopause and perimenopause that can throw hormones off balance, thus making it more difficult to lead a long and healthy life. By understanding the causes and common symptoms of hormone imbalance in women, you can properly assess your health and decide if treatment is the best option for you.
Let’s take a closer look at the common causes and symptoms of the condition, plus an option for treatment you can consider if you’re living with hormone imbalance:
What causes female hormone imbalance?
Beyond the natural life occurrences women experience over time, there are a number of additional factors, in regard to toxins and an unbalanced lifestyle, that play a role in hormone balance. The following causes are most common:
1. Stress – If stress becomes chronic, cortisol takes over the body and reduces hormone production, according to Women in Balance. The body then steals from its own progesterone to make more cortisol, depleting the balance of hormones. Not only does this reduce overall energy, it also lowers libido, negatively impacts muscles and overwhelms the immune system.
2. Digestion – When digestion issues occur, the inflammation suppresses the hypothalamus and pituitary, the glands that produce sex, adrenal and thyroid hormones, according to Planet Naturopath. Additionally, estrogen and progesterone gets metabolized in the liver, and poor functioning can result in unhealthy forms of estrogen production that’s most commonly associated with breast cancer.
3. Thyroid function – As stated by Richard S. Haber, M.D. in an article titled “Hypothyroidism: A Common Hormonal Imbalance Affecting Several Million Americans,” an underactive thyroid gland is one of the most common causes of hormonal imbalance. Improper thyroid function can negatively impact the production of progesterone and drain the energy used in most tissues in the body.
What are the common signs and symptoms of hormone imbalance?
According to the Women’s Health Network, most females have no idea that the symptoms they are experiencing are linked to a hormone imbalance. If you’re living with a common occurrence in any of the following signs, it may be time to reach out to your doctor and discuss possible treatment options:
1. Irregular periods – An irregular or absent period may be the sign of a disruption in the hormones – estrogen and progesterone – that dictate menstruation.
2. Weight gain – Shifting hormones can cause weight gain, most commonly storing fat in the abdomen, especially in women who have never lived with weight issues.
3. Irritability – An imbalance of estrogen, testosterone and progesterone or adrenal stress can cause you to feel more overwhelmed or moody than usual.
4. Skin issues – If you notice blotchiness or acne on the surface of your skin, you may be living with a hormonal condition known as polycystic ovarian syndrome.
5. Hair loss or unusual hair growth – An imbalance between estrogen and testosterone, or an imbalance in thyroid function can cause hair loss. Producing high levels of testosterone, on the other hand, may lead to unusual, thick hair growth.
6. Infertility – With high amount of androgens in the system, often caused by PCOS, increased oxygen and lack of ovulation may occur, which can result in infertility.
7. Fatigue – Even after getting plenty of sleep, you may still feel tired physically or emotionally tired due to chronic stress caused by hormone or thyroid imbalances.
Visit the Longevity Centres for hormone imbalance treatment
With assistance from the restorative medical doctors at the Longevity & Stem Cell Centre of Houston, you can properly identify the hormone imbalances that are impact your overall health and outlook on life. With pellet therapy, we insert various small, rice-sized pellets beneath the skin to increase your energy, focus and sex drive. This solution can help women of all ages restore their hormone balance and live their lives to the fullest.
For more information on our treatment options for hormone imbalance, contact the Longevity Centres today. We look forward to helping to recapture vitality and confidence.